Monday, June 16, 2014

A Poem by Patty Apostolides





A Toast to Life

Is to gather
Soft, willowy wisps of “thank you’s”
And blow them into the air until
A smile returns my way.

To hand out with large doses
Random acts of kindness
To people who suffer so much, they cannot see,
Except my outstretched hand.

To wish with sincerity
A journey, filled with loyal friends,
Who cheer and support each other
Through good and difficult times.

To sit still enough
So that peace may find me,
And fill the chambers of my heart with serenity,
Thus brightening even my darkest hours.

And let us toast to love,
For even when we are all alone,
Our poor and ailing hearts
Still can feel its powerful joy.

And strive always for
Patience, wisdom and foresight
So they could stand faithfully by our sides
And guide us all to righteousness.

Surely we must also read, and learn
Through books and classes
Of the universe’s secrets -
This knowledge must be gleaned.

I plan to write about life -
Stories so powerful and uplifting
They bring tears of joy to others,
One page at a time.

And when I depart
This beautiful earth one day,
Will I have accomplished my purpose -
To leave a part of me behind?

So let us lift our glasses
To make a Toast to Life,
And let us write our own story -
One chapter at a time.

Patty Apostolides, 2014

No comments: